“Out with the old and in with the new?” Not so fast! Looking back at 2016, AREVA had a number of reasons to celebrate – and a story of Powerful Performance to tell. Let’s take a look at some of our major accomplishments:
- World’s first reactor vessel (RV) head mitigation: AREVA’s Component Repair & Replacement (CR&R) team used cavitation peening, a first-of-a-kind technique developed by AREVA with our customer, to fully mitigate reactor vessel heads at two operating units in the Midwest.
- Industry-first hardened containment venting system: AREVA performed design and engineering work for the industry’s first hardened containment venting system in response to evolving Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) post-Fukushima recommendations and completed the project for a boiling water reactor (BWR) plant in the South.
- Record-breaking steam generator (SG) tube inspection: AREVA’s Non-Destructive Examination (NDE) team broke an industry record at a Florida nuclear plant, completing more than 17,000 steam generator tube inspections in a single outage.
- 92 million fuel pellets pressed and 2,300+ fuel assemblies manufactured: AREVA’s Richland, Wash., fuel manufacturing facility pressed 92 million fuel pellets and manufactured over 2,300 fuel assemblies for operating pressurized water reactor (PWR) and boiling water reactor (BWR) plants.
- Almost 7,000 fuel moves in operating reactors: AREVA’s PWR refueling services team performed 5,920 fuel moves, while AREVA’s BWR refueling services team performed 1,025 fuel moves.
- 5,164 workers deployed in 21 spring and 17 fall outages: AREVA deployed 5,164 workers to 21 outages in the spring and 17 outages in the fall – all helping to power 36 million U.S. homes.
- A Special Top Innovative Practice Award for the National SAFER Response Centers: AREVA and its industry partners accepted this award for the National SAFER Response Centers – which store and maintain mobile operational equipment that can be quickly deployed to U.S. nuclear facilities when needed, in support of the industry’s flexible and multi-layered safety strategy.
- 11 patents submitted, 6 patents awarded: AREVA inventors are producing revolutionary, game-changing innovations that will drive the operational excellence of the reactor fleet.
- 2,192 volunteer hours in our communities: The pride and passion of our people drive our success and contribute to the well-being of our communities.
Opportunities and challenges in 2016 were met with expertise, innovation, and creativity, hallmarks of AREVA’s greatest resource – our people. And 2017 promises more opportunities to demonstrate the passion that drives the work we do every day. Here’s to the powerful performance that served our customers in 2016 and to a successful 2017!