Alan Hanson on Recycling in the Cleveland Plain-Dealer | AREVA North America: Next Energy Blog



AREVA EVP Dr. Alan Hanson, who’s in charge of our recycling efforts in the U.S., has a great editorial up in the Cleveland Plain Dealer making the case for recycling nuclear fuel as a major part of America’s long-term nuclear energy plans, and pointing out the need to recycle used fuel instead of just letting it all go to waste:

Recycling nuclear fuel is a proven solution that makes waste management easier, conserves natural resources, is cost competitive and reduces proliferation concerns.

Recycling used nuclear fuel reduces the volume of high-level waste for disposal in a repository such as the one envisioned at Yucca Mountain. Only 4 percent of used fuel is high-level waste; the remaining 96 percent can be recycled and reused as fuel for nuclear plants.

Check out the rest of Dr. Hanson’s op-ed over at the Plain-Dealer‘s site.

Share TAGS: Alan Hanson, AREVA Inc., AREVA North America, Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Nuclear Energy, Nuclear Power, , Spent Fuel Recycling, Yucca Mountain

Posted in: Environment, Recycling | View Comments

Share post:



More like this